In September 1947, a group of businessmen, led by entrepreneur
José Fuga, started the tannery Curtume Marauense Ltda, in the
small town of Marau-RS (state of Rio Grande do Sul, South Brasil). This
was the beginning of what now has become the group of Fuga Couros S.A.
In those days, 20 pigskins were tanned per day. Seven
years later, in 1955, the tannery made its first export sale to the U.S.A.
its growth was constant and ever increasing, boosted by the processing
In 1960 the company changed its name to Curtume Marauense
S.A. and in 1989 to Fuga Couros S.A. Today, the Fuga Couros S.A.
group trades in various world markets, participating at the main international
trade fairs like Miami, Bologna, Hong Kong
and Leon among others, in addition to most leather fairs in Brasil. The
group has also expanded to other activities like cattle breeding, slaughterhouses
and processing of by-products like offals etc.